5 Jan 2016
A few tips to make your business more Environmentally Friendly
in Technical Blog by Kae Verens
There are many things a business can do within their day to day operations to lighten their footprint on the planet. By introducing Eco-Friendly practices you will not only help the planet but your business will also reap the benefits, going Green will help your business bottom line and also your company brand and image. If you would like your company to be more Green, start off with easily achievable goals and as time goes by you can become more ambitious. Define your company Green Plan and vision for the future
- Encourage all staff to get involved in helping to implement your plans because to change a company culture will require a contribution from all team members.
- Set up short term and long term objectives - Check strategies and measure regularly to see what is working.
- Require all employees to keep their files in digital form and all documents should be distributed electronically.
- All Field based workers should send information back to the office using a cloud based workflow management system like FieldMotion which allows field based workers to record data and capture signatures in the field and send it back to the office in real time.
- Use a cloud based Accountancy package like Xero which allows you invoice electronically rather than post.
- Have paper recycling bins beside photocopiers
- Recycle Bottles and Cans
- Set up a compost system for food waste
- Introduce a recycling program for electronics, many charities will collect these as they benefit from the proceeds.
- Switch of all computers, monitors and printers at night.
- Switch of all lights when not in use, fit energy saving light bulbs. Also think about installing intelligent lighting systems. Zone lighting and detection sensors will save on energy especially at night, whole floors do not need to be lit for a few staff.
- Timed thermostats
- Heating shouldn't be more than 19 degrees Celsius which should be warm enough and comfortable for all staff
- During summer months there should be a balance with the Air conditioning, you don't want staff wearing coats because it is too cold.
- Make sure your office is well insulated
- Use energy efficient motors and keep them well maintained . Don't keep engines idling.
- Vehicle tracking like TomTom can help monitor speeding and driver behaviour, also tracking can help a business plan out routes more efficiently to help save money on fuel.
- Use other businesses that are Green or certified Green